Which shape dining table is best?
When it comes to dining tables, there are many different shapes to choose from. From round, square, rectangle, oval and even octagonal!
But, which shape dining table is best?
Well, truth be told, it depends on your personal preferences and what you intend to use it for.
For example, if you have a smaller family or a small dining room, a round or square table might be a better option because it won’t take up as much space.
On the other hand, if you have a large family or dining space, a rectangular table might be a better option because it can seat more people.
To help you make your decision a bit easier, we have set up this guide on how to determine which shape dining table is best for you!
We will go through a few benefits, pros and cons of each shape and how to decide which shape dining table is best for you.
Why shape matters when choosing a dining table
When it comes to choosing a dining table, the shape is everything.
The wrong shape can make a small room feel cramped, or a large space feels empty.
Conversely, the correct shape can help create an intimate setting or open up a space.
Here are some things to remember when choosing the right shape for your dining table.
How many seats do you need?
You first must consider how many people you typically have for dinner daily.
You will need a bigger table if you have a large family or entertain often.
And the best or most practical for large families are rectangular or square tables extending into longer rectangular ones.
But if you have a small family or entertain infrequently, you can get away with a smaller table.
Thus, if you are after a small table, then small round dining tables are a good option. Not only do they have space, but they can also squeeze in a couple of extra diners when you get a surprise guest.
Then you have small square tables which are perfect for families of 4 or smaller.
2 What is the size of your room?
The second thing to consider is the size of your room.
You’ll want to choose a round or oval table if you have less space. These shapes help create an intimate setting and don’t take up as much space as rectangular or square tables.
However, trying to cramp a large table into a small area is not only dangerous and impractical but aesthetically poor too.
But if you have a larger area, you can go for a more traditional rectangle or square table. Just be sure to leave enough room for people to move around comfortably.
A large dining room allows for extra furniture like sideboards, display units, etc. However, adding a small table in such a space will make it look underwhelming.
So carefully measure your space and plan out your room adequately.
What is the current décor of your dining room?
If you walk into most homes, you will find that the dining room is either modern or traditional.
Most rectangular and wooden round tables do generally suit more traditional dining sets ups. Whilst square or round glass tables tend to fit into contemporary or modern styles more naturally.
Ultimately, the most important thing about the shape of your dining table is to make sure it reflects your personal style.
Now, let’s look at a few benefits and features of different shaped dining tables.
Benefits, pros and cons of different shape dining tables
It’s not just the difference in looks and feel with different shapes of dining tables that matter. Each alternative shape gives and even takes away from your dining occasion and your dining room.
Let’s look at a few advantages and disadvantages of the most common dining table shapes.
Round dining tables are a great way to add a touch of elegance to your home.
Pros and advantages:
1. They take up less space than rectangular or square tables, making them ideal for small dining rooms.
2. Round tables encourage conversation and can be more intimate than other table shapes.
3. They can be used in various ways, from formal dinners to family game nights.
4. Round tables are available in various styles and finishes to suit any taste.
5. They are typically more affordable than other table shapes.
6. Round tables can accommodate more people than square or rectangular tables of the same size.
7. They are easy to clean and maintain.
8. A round table is ideal for smaller families or those who want a cosier feel.
Cons and disadvantages
- Small round tables can be insufficient for medium-sized families.
- Because of their shape, you can often only fit a certain number of people around them.
- Large round tables are more scarce to come by than other shapes. This is due to the extra space they need around the table.
- A round table may not be the best choice if you have a smaller home or eat-in kitchen, as you can’t push it against a wall to make the most of your room.
- These tables can also be more challenging to move and transport because of their shape.
Squares tables are often overlooked in favour of more traditional rectangular options.
However, a few advantages make square tables an excellent option for your next purchase.
Pros and advantages of square tables
- One advantage of square tables is that they are ideal for small spaces. If you have a small dining room or eat-in kitchen, a square table can be a great way to save space while still accommodating four people.
- Another advantage of square tables is that they promote conversation. Because everyone sitting at the table faces each other, it encourages people to talk and interact with one another. This can be great for family dinners or dinner parties with friends.
- They have plenty of surface space for guests, cutlery, etc.
- Finally, square tables can be very stylish and add a touch of sophistication to your dining room. If you want to make a statement with your furniture, a square table is a great way to do it.
Cons and disadvantages of square tables
- Fewer people can fit compared to a round table of a similar size.
- One of the main disadvantages of a square dining table is that it can be challenging to fit into smaller spaces. If you have a small dining room, you may need to choose a different shape table to ensure everyone has enough space.
- Another downside is that square tables can be less versatile regarding seating arrangements. If you have a large family or entertain often. In that case, you may want a table that can accommodate more people or be rearranged easily.
A rectangular table is a good choice if you have a large family or entertain often. It provides plenty of seating and surface area for food and dishes.
Pros and advantages:
- They seat more people than other tables, which are great for large families or entertaining guests.
- Rectangular tables can take up less space than a square or round table, easily being pushed up along a side wall.
- The long, narrow shape of a rectangular table makes it easy to have a conversation.
- Rectangular tables have the most variety in design and style to choose from.
- They have generous surface space for elbow room, cutlery, dining ornaments like vases, etc.
Cons and disadvantages:
- They can be challenging to fit into smaller spaces. A square or round table might be better if you have a small dining room.
- Not everyone can see each other without moving back and forth.
- They don’t leave much room for walkways. If your dining room is on the smaller side, you might bump into chairs or struggle to get around the table when it’s set for a meal.
- They can be less intimate. Rectangular tables tend to seat more people and can therefore feel less personal than round or square tables.
- Larger table surface, so it requires more cleaning time.
When it comes to dining tables, an oval is often seen as the ideal shape. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of oval dining tables:
Pros and advantages of Oval dining tables:
- Oval dining tables offer a more intimate dining experience.
- Because everyone faces each other, the conversation can flow more efficiently, and people can feel more connected.
- Oval dining tables also take up less space than rectangular or square tables. This can be a significant advantage in smaller homes or apartments where every square inch counts.
- Oval dining tables can also be more versatile than other shapes regarding seating arrangements. For example, you can easily add an extra chair or two around an oval table without disrupting the symmetry.
- Perfect for traditional settings
Cons and disadvantages:
An oval dining table may be a stylish addition to your home. Still, there are some disadvantages to consider before you make your purchase.
- An oval table may not be the best option if you have a small dining room where you push the table along a side wall.
- Oval tables can be more expensive than other dining tables because they are often made of higher quality materials and construction.
- Usually designed for traditional settings other than modern ones.
- Usually come in medium or large size, hence difficult to find a small oval table.
- The ends of the table have less space than square or rectangular tables.
- The natural shape of the table can make it difficult to place in a room.
An octagonal dining table is a great way to add an extra flair to your dining room.
Here are some of the advantages of owning an octagonal dining table:
Pros and advantages:
1. Octagonal tables are unique. If you’re looking for a dining table to make a statement, an octagonal table is a way to go. With its unusual shape, an octagonal table is sure to be a conversation starter.
2. Octagonal tables are spacious. Because of their shape, octagonal tables offer more seated space than rectangular or square tables. So if you often have large gatherings for meals, an octagonal table would be a good option for you.
3. Octagonal tables can be used in small spaces. Even though they offer more seating space than other shapes, octagonal tables can work well in smaller areas since they don’t have sharp corners.
Cons and disadvantages:
There are a few disadvantages of octagonal dining tables too.
- One is that they can be more expensive than other shapes due to their unusual shape.
- They can also be difficult to find in stores and may require a custom order.
- Just like round and oval tables, octagonal tables are not ideal for such scenarios if you have a small room where you need to push the dining table along a wall.
Conclusion: so which shape dining table is best?
In conclusion, the best shape for a dining table is one that fits the space available and the number of people who will be using it.
Which shape dining table is best for small families?
Round tables provide just enough space for cutlery and an intimate experience.
What shape table is best for large rooms and gatherings?
Without a doubt, rectangular tables are the ones to choose from.
Which shape dining tables are best for traditional and classic dining themes?
The oval dining table suits this job perfectly.
Which shape table for a wide dining room with plenty of space?
Octagonal tables provide the best solution for this need. You can fit in a reasonable number of diners whilst still having plenty of space to walk around.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference and the needs of the people using the table.
With all these tables, there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to keep in mind before you make your purchase.